Monday 31 January 2011

most of the world does not run on time

To not be upset when  one's 15 hr bus journey turns into a 21 hr one would have been easier had a friend not recently complained about being delayed in an airport in Iraq. 'Harden up' is perhaps not an unfair response, but for those for whom the trains run on time, being delayed is an inconvenience worthy of remark.

I was reminded of a Louis de Berniere moment when he described a fictional but normalesque journey in latin america with the expression 'despite everything running perfectly to time we still arrived 7 hours late'. No I bit the lip and resolved to not complain.

Arriving too late to check-in  I wandered towards the bridge spanning Song Han in Danang. Attending a sung mass along the way was a peculiar delight, as was having the company of a 20yr old nurse who ran across the road to hear me play the whistle on top of the bridge. Then I set off to get breakfast and find the surf that at least a few websites had informed me there would be.

The surf was there but not a sinner on the beach, and closed were the guesthouses I had read about. And so began a lonely walk along a beach with grey/brown waves breaking on one side and half constructed resorts looming over the other. Most of my thoughts cursed the unpredictability of the world, in that it had the impudence to surprise me with an alternative to my expectations.

I hardened up, but it took a few clicks walking the beach and a swim. But my reaction was to head straight to an internet cafe to order me another large glass of predictability. Change location for something predictable.

I could always just walk out the door and see though.

No comments:

Post a Comment