Monday 17 January 2011

doesn't give much money to charity, but he would have you do so

I am a slacktivist. Interested in charity work, I spend a fair bit of time online posting links to various causes, signing petitions and generally increasing the amount of low quality information in the world. I have no idea what good it does, and whether anyone else actually appreciates it, or goes the extra mile and takes the time (or gives the money) to move whatever cause it is on its way.


Clicking buttons doesn't make it happen, but it makes me feel like I am doing something, and it is free. The alternative of donating money isn't nearly so appealing. I have less, and find it difficult to see any return. The shrapnel I throw into charity boxes probably costs more to count and process than it is worth and the odd fundraiser attended is the only bit of light in the sad affair.


In an ideal world more of us would be like Toby Ord who will donate $1m from an average salary over the course of his working life.


This would all be well and good if he wasn't such a boring ...

No comments:

Post a Comment