Sunday 17 October 2010

Angus, thongs and perfect blogging

Stealing a ten year olds homework isn't something I am in the habit of doing, but then again neither is flying to Hanoi, and so to do both on the same day could be viewed as auspicious if not simply careless. The homework can be sent back, and then so can I, but one will take less than the other, and so I stay in Hanoi to see what the wonders of the world have to offer.

Craic began in earnest with a middle age Norweigian who sat down next to me on the aeroplane and told me that he did 'hot werk in platforms'. Charitable as my thoughts are when directed at persons of this background, I did assume the worst, but an individual of deviant occupation he was not. Turned out he did 'hot work on platforms', oil rig platforms of all things and while YMCA might still elucidate the scene, the type of tents he was pitching surrounded a welder at work. The purpose being to snuff out any sparks before the gas fields of the North Sea were ignited. This as it turns out is remarkably similar to the recommendation of the use of prophylactics as contraceptives and the conversation rambled on from there. Associated activities are necessary but dangerous and require the use of equipment made to the highest standard. We got along grand discussing issues as diverse as the global sex trade, the Arab-Israeli conflict and the importance of taking care of the elderly.

We also drank the same drink, the whisky and beer ordered, and ordered again promptly had him fast asleep with his head resting on my shoulder just as the second round arrived. Having made friends I thought this was ok, and as payment set about finishing his drinks when my ranneth dry. Waking up hours later the guy never spoke nor looked at me, must have been hoarding his for later on, but in fairness his rolling about in his sleep would have knocked them over some time before.

Rest of the trip was unremarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment